It is To Laugh in Toronto

It is To Laugh in Toronto

Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Chinatown

We had to walk through (or travel by streetcar) south on Spadina to get to North Street Video where we rehearsed Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday evenings. Overall, it was dirty and crowded, lots of junk/souvenir shops. I guess it had some good restaurants, but we didn’t sample any, other than some Chicken Something Dan brought me back on Wednesday afternoon while I was hacking away on the cues for that night’s rehearsal. If I had seen a Dim Sum restaurant I know I would’ve gone, but if there was one, it was hidden on one of the side streets I guess.

My most memorable characters in Chinatown were not even Chinese: one was the quadriplegic busker who played a pre-programmed electronic keyboard with his stumps; the other was Uncle Abraham, the Israeli pawnshop owner we interviewed on Thursday while he repaired a bicycle out in front of the shop. His best quote was “I don’t care about all this baloney.”

No comments: