It is To Laugh in Toronto

It is To Laugh in Toronto

Tuesday, May 29, 2007

The Hideaway

When Dan was particularly getting to me, first I accused him of being a “slack thief,” he takes all the slack for himself and away from the people he’s working with. That night, when he was bullshitting about recruiting Toronto musicians to join the show (necessary because of the over-ambitious Osama script with a lot of songs in it that our cast either didn’t know, couldn’t sing, couldn’t play or all of the above), I said “I went to college for a year in Missouri, show me.” If you don’t challenge him like that he just talks and talks and doesn’t get anything done – expects other people to do it for him of course. Slack thief.

So after rehearsal on Tuesday night, we stopped at a cool bar on West Queen called The Hideaway, a hip deco atmosphere, seemed like it’s been there since the 20s. An acoustic duo was playing, their rockin’ Guess Who medley of “No Sugar Tonight/New Mother Nature” was particularly fetching. Taking up my challenge, during their break Dan somehow got them to agree (in a matter of minutes) to be in the show! He showed me all right, and I was happy to acknowlege it. However, the story changed the next night when we rehearsed the script again, it timed out at 56 minutes (was supposed to be 40), Dan got all depressed and realized he had to tell them forget it, cut most of the songs, and rewrite a good portion of script. That was a good thing for all involved, the Friday show was a frenetic mess but the rewritten Saturday show was tight!

No comments: