It is To Laugh in Toronto

It is To Laugh in Toronto

Sunday, May 20, 2007

we're here

Yep, in Toronto now. Yesterday was a 12-hour travel day, from Portland to LaGuardia, then to Buffalo, then by bus to Toronto.

In the 3-hour layover at LaGuardia, we walked around the food court with my flash recorder and microphone interviewing a variety of people on their opinions of Canada and Canadians -- some pretty funny stuff. We're going to edit clips from those (and the ones I did in Portland last week) with some we record here, with Canadians' opinions about America. A subversive edit, mind you. That's for our Saturday show, "Osama on the Half Shell." We wondered why nobody in Security stopped us, or even asked what we were doing. I'm sure they would've been interested to hear the discussions of the possibility that bin Laden is hiding out somewhere in Canada...

Buffalo was extremely crappy, we had to take the number 24 bus from the airport to the Greyhound terminal across town, so got to see some of the slummier areas around town. Also passed the Wonder Bread bakery! The 3-hour bus ride to Toronto included a stop at Customs, which was a pretty annoying interrogation, may I see your passport please? We made a stop at Niagra Falls too -- I saw a couple of honeymoon hotels, but never got a glimpse of the falls. So I read my book and snoozed a little.

When we arrived in Toronto, we were met by Chris and Hilary, who drove us to our "residence" -- a big dormitory on the University of Toronto campus. It's fine, and I've got internet access with an ethernet cable (not much in the way of free wireless like good old Portland). After we dropped off our stuff, we went out with them to a nearby pub, had a few beers and some fun.

Now we're heading over to CKLN, the center of the universe in terms of Radio Art. We'll be meeting some of our collaborators, Darren Copeland and I think Nadene too. Dan wants to start some script readthroughs today to cast some of the parts, but one of the guys, Mark, won't even be there so I don't know how far we'll get. I think it's more of a meet and great, meet the meat.

Then after that, we're supposed to participate in somebody's experimental radio theater project -- his name is Harmon e. Phraysiar. I'll tell you more later, and start attaching pictures and audio files as soon as I figure out how to do it!

No comments: